Friday, June 20, 2008

Daily Encouragement

Brothers, if you have a message of encouragement for the people, please speak." (Acts 13:15 NIV)


As a homeschool mom, there have been many days when I have felt discouraged. Not only do I grow weary when teaching my children, but in every area of my life. Let's face it, life can be very demanding and the feelings of wanting to give up can be overwhelming. It was during one of these disheartening times I started crying out to God to give me the hope and encouragement I needed to stay in the race of life. What I had discovered each time I felt this way was that God is a God of encouragement. Every time I went to Him with my feelings of inadequacies or burnout He would send me just what I needed, whether it be a phone call from a friend, a Scripture that spoke to my heart, or just a deep sense of His presence. He was always there.

You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; You encourage them, and You listen to their cry, (Psalm 10:17 NIV).

As I continued to study the Bible, I learned the importance of having godly relationships in my life. I was not meant to live a lone ranger life, but rather a life of community with other Christians. We are all called to build each other up and give encouragement. When I am loving others and they are loving me, it brings great joy and it actually refreshes our hearts.

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. (1 Thes. 5:11 NIV)

Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints. (Philemon 1:7 NIV)

We are not just called to encourage others once in a while, but we are told to do it daily. I believe the reason we are to edify each other day by day is because the Lord knew we needed it that often. That is one of the reasons it is important for our spiritual lives to be connected with other Believers on a regular basis.

Being in prayer, reading the Bible and having times of fellowship with others will strengthen us and lift us up when we are down. Do you know someone that needs a word of encouragement today? Don't hesitate to speak it!


More verses about encouraging others:

Acts 15:32
Acts 16:40
Acts 20:1-2
Romans 15:4
2 Cor. 7:13
2 Thes. 2:16

1 comment:

JesusRulzMe said...

Bless you sister! What a beautiful devotional! :-)

May you be encouraged all the more as we are closer daily to The Day approaching. ~ Hebrews 10:24-25