Monday, October 20, 2008

The Blueprint for Integrity



I will be careful to lead a blameless life... (Psalm 101:2 NIV)

I love the book of Psalms. One of my favorites is Psalm 101. This Psalm is what I call "The Blueprint for Integrity." It is beautifully written by David and it shows his determination to live a godly life.

In verse 2, David states that he "will be careful to lead a blameless life." One day as I was reading this Psalm, I questioned how anyone could live a blameless life. After all, we all have a sin nature. Praying about this I discovered that being blameless doesn't mean being without sin. It simply means to be living with a clean heart. It means coming clean before God when I sin and asking for His forgiveness. It means to deal with my sin instead of pretending it's not there. It also means setting up boundaries for myself and asking God's help to stay within those boundaries.

In Psalm 101 we see how David had boundaries for his life. These boundaries were steadfast and didn't change with his circumstances. He was careful how he lived, even in his home. He wasn't one way in public and then another way in his house.

I will walk in my house with a blameless heart. (Psalm 101:2 NIV).
 
What other things was he careful about? He was careful about what he looked at: I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar (vs. 3 NLT), how he talked about other people, lying (vs. 7), and being careful not to be conceited or prideful (vs. 5). He rejected perverse ideas and stayed away from every kind of evil (vs. 4 NLT).

Another boundary he mentioned is found in verses 6 and 7. He says that he will search for faithful people to be his companions. Dictionary.com defines a companion as " a person who is frequently in the company of, associates with, or accompanies another." David was referring to the people he spent most of his time with. He knew the importance of having faithful people around him.

Did David do everything right all the time? No. He was human as we are. However, he was a determined man and he had a "plan of action" - a "blueprint" to follow. Since it was his goal to live a blameless life, we can be sure he got back on track whenever he drifted off course.

It would be good to follow David's example in this Psalm. Just as we need physical boundaries, having spiritual boundaries are just as vital. Do you have a "Blueprint" for your life?




4 comments:

Meridith @ The Road Less Traveled said...

Wow... beautiful post... thank you for sharing....

I found your blog on LWG Blogroll as I'm looking to connect with other Christian women in the blog world...

Off to read more of your blog...

Chelsey said...

Crystal,
Great post and wonderful words of wisdom. I just received your request to be added to the Titus 2 blogroll. I'll be making additions to the list this weekend and get you added.

I also noticed you are in the Dallas area - I am too - Garland to be exact! :)

Sew Infertile said...

Thanks for stopping by!! Nice to meet you! Have a blessed day! Nicole

Anonymous said...

Hi mrs. crystal
this is tara, i saw your blog on google and just wanted to say hi
oh and merry christmas :)