Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Habit of Tea Parties



After attending a Mom Heart Conference recently with my precious friend, Lindsay, I was inspired to start having "tea time" with my children (and husband).  We've had tea times before but never consistently.  In fact, it's been a few years since our last one.

So, Sunday after church I decided to start our new habit of having tea parties!  My son, however, did not like the thought of having a girly tea party.  My husband quickly saw the concern on his face and cleverly told him that the men in the family would not call it a tea party but an "eating party" instead.  That made my son more relaxed and willing to participate.  I've never known him yet to pass up a free cookie. :) 

With the table set, a candle lit and soft piano music playing from my CD player, we sat down to enjoy our lunch/tea party.  At first my children were not sure if this was a good idea, but it didn't take them long to see that the purpose of our time was not necessarily to drink tea but rather to connect with each other.

We've had a few more tea times since then and I must admit that I am amazed at the conversations that has flowed from our times together.  Stopping our busyness for a few minutes and gathering around the table for an afternoon snack has not only helped us bond together, but also create special childhood memories for my kids!

Why not plan a "tea party" for your children this week?

Crystal


“There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea”  Henry James.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Love this idea--I am going to try it with my girls! Thanks!

Tina said...

How sweet is that. I would have to call it an eating party for my husband too!